Sunday, November 6, 2011

Theosophy

Theosophy is one of the wisdom traditions I love.  The word is derived from the Greek “theosophia” composed of the two words theos - god, gods, or divine - and sophia -xx wisdom.  Theosophy could be translated as “wisdom from/of the divine” or simply “divine wisdom”. 

The other day I searched to see whether there are free online books available of Charles Leadbeater, a foremost clairvoyant and one of the former leaders of the Theosophical Society of old.  I had owned a lot of his books as well as books by Helena Petrova Blavatsky and those of other Theosophists but had given almost all of them away before one of my many moves.

I yearned to familiarize myself again with the theosophical wisdom, especially of the knowledge of the finer vibrational worlds, such as the astral and mental planes.  I found a website by Anand Gholap from Pune, India, who had digitized many of the old books whose copyright protection had long run out:  www.anandgholap.net.

I contacted Anand to ask whether he would consider us setting up a Skype book discussion group and he is thinking about it.  He had created a Facebook group that discusses the literature via chatting but I am not on Facebook and I don’t chat.

In order to brush up on my knowledge about Theosophy I am taking Anand’s advice and am starting to read the books following his recommended sequence.  I will be creating mp3 files of those parts of the writings are either new to me or which are especially most intriguing. 

These are three other websites known to me that reflect Theosophical groups and its literature:

The Theosophical Society
International Headquarters – Pasadena, California
with its free online resources: 
“Theosophical University Press - Online Literature“

The Theosophical Society, Wheaton, IL

The Blavatsky Study Center
with its free online resources

Further reading about what Theosophy is: 

Some basic concepts of theosophy and an Overview and resources for independent study:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Feed the hungry fish with your cursor